A few years ago we attended a small all Spanish speaking church with a very gifted pastor. Just like any human being, we all have our flaws. There are some flaws that we can overlook, but something this pastor would often say just never sat right with me or my husband.
He would brag about receiving phone calls, and how the Lord trained him in his prophetic gifting and word of knowledge this way.
He said God would tell him who was calling, and God was always correct. He got so good at it, that when the phone rang, if it was someone he did not want to speak to he would not answer. (This was before caller ID was around.)
He would brag about this to the congregation, and there would always be oohs and aahs, but at the same time his message was- I know what is going on.
When one receives a prophetic word or word of knowledge, it should always point to Jesus, and it is to bring edification and exhortation to the church.
These “words of knowledge” this pastor was receiving every time the phone rang did neither. Its only purpose was to boost his pride and ego.
So was it God speaking to him? The obvious answer is no. In case you did not know, there is such a thing as a false prophet spirit.
1 John 4:1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world
A way to test any word from God is to ask the following questions. Does it point to Jesus? Does it bring edification? What is the purpose of the Lord telling me this information?
It was sad to see how this pastor could not grasp that it was the enemy speaking to him, and not God.
We need to keep ourselves safe from falling into deception and having our pride grow. Our goal should be for edification of the Body of Christ, as the word says 1 Corinthians 14:12
What a true prophet will do
- A prophet will never expose your sin. If the Lord reveals your sin to the prophet, it is to steer you on the right path and to draw you to repentance unto the Lord, but the sin should never be mentioned.
- The prophet will be spending time in prayer and have an intimacy with the Lord, that will include love for His people.
- A true prophet will give you direction and guidance, and that will always include God’s plan for you and His love for you.
- The gift is to build and exhort the church, hint: you and me.
- A prophet will not call out your faults, embarrass you or cause you shame or bring condemnation. Jesus loves us too much to hurt us.
- The prophetic word will bring hope.
- When prophetic words or words of knowledge are received, it should always bring Glory to the One that gave us the revelation.
Knowing these guidelines will keep you safe from those claiming to be God’s spokesman/woman.
Have you ever received an incorrect word from a prophet? If so, how did you handle it, what did you do about it?
Leave your comments below, I would love to hear from you.
Please follow and like us: